Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Does it Rock? Divine Fits: A Thing Called Divine Fits



I'm the least qualified to bring you a thorough examination of Divine Fits' pedigree: I can remember a couple songs by Spoon, I've never heard of Wolf Parade, and I generally don't like comparing things to other things even when I might know what I'm talking about. This band has some people who were in other bands.

I really dig about half the tracks on this album. In the middle it meanders a bit and loses my attention, but it begins with four really solid tracks of groove-heavy, indie-fuzzed art-funk. "My Love is Real" has a tight groove and "Flaggin a Ride" cuts loose. "What Gets You Alone" is racked with tension. Another good track is the later one, "Like Ice Cream."

One of my two favourites from this set are "Would That Be Nice," which seems like the most solid manifestation of the stilted white funk sound they were going for, bass-heavy, almost Elvis Costello "Pump It Up" at quarter-speed. Then for the last minute you really get to see where their heads are at when the whole thing erupts in a climactic coda, made out of synths that have been bubbling under the surface for the whole song. The other is the staggering slow jam "Shivers," which is a standout on its own terms, unlike anything else on the disc, staggeringly cool.

The remaining tracks aren't without merit, they try things and ultimately it's up to you if you like them or even if you need to like them to justify adding this to your collection. I like their moxie, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment